Surrey County Council is the county council that governs the non-metropolitan county of Surrey in England.
The council commissioned Global Diversity Practice for three years to train 9,000 employees across the organisation to help fulfil their Equality and Diversity ambitions as well as to meet their legal requirements.
GDP were requested to develop and deliver a programme of Equality and Diversity Training for all staff and Members. The objective was to ensure the council employees had an understanding of their responsibilities as individuals and as an organisation through Equality & Diversity Training for all staff and members of the Council. The Council commissioned a review by the Audit Commission to support its drive to improve equality and diversity (E&D) performance.
Equality & Diversity Training
- E&D general training – all staff and Members
- Face-to-face and Non face-to-face awareness training – for staff whose work brings them into contact with members of the public i.e. reception staff, trading standards, waste management staff, contact centre staff, shared service centre staff etc.
- E&D training for shift and casual workers – e.g. commercial services/home carers
- Service specific training – for services like Finance, Procurement and Contract Management, HR and Organizational Development, Legal, where E&D was specific to these roles
GDP team comprising of twenty trainers supported by the administration team helped Surrey County Council to deliver the countywide programme through their impacting training, consultancy and excellent organisational skills with the core objectives:
- To recognise and address issues of multiple discrimination
- Align with their ‘one council’ approach to managing equality and diversity
- Ensure Surrey County Council incorporated all six strands of equality in their mechanisms for ensuring continuous improvement on equality and diversity
Our programme deliverables and training were extremely well received and the project was completed to both high client satisfaction and met our own standards of “delivering excellence through diversity and inclusion.