The Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) was an Executive Non-Departmental public body accountable to the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport. It was established by the London Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Act on 30th March 2006.
The team at Global Diversity Practice worked closely with the ODA, providing expert consultancy on E&D since its inception and laid the foundations for further development of the D&I strategy to successful execution during the 2012 Olympics.
Embedded Consultancy, Development and Execution of D&I Strategy
Embedded Consultancy – GDP provided embedded consultancy with the overall objective of leading and co-coordinating the equality and inclusion work of the Olympic Delivery Authority.
Due to the success of the Embedded Consultancy project, GDP was requested by the ODA to progress work specifically linked to the Equality and Diversity Strategy, which included:
- Determination of approach to Targets, and incorporation of targets into draft strategy.
- Engagement with the Olympic stakeholders (GLA and DCMS) on the draft strategy, action plan, targets and amendment of draft strategy and action plan as appropriate.
- Feedback to other external stakeholders involved in initial stakeholder consultation on progress and next steps, to avoid leaving them in a vacuum.
- Further development of action plan, including detailed assessment of budgets required, establishment of indicative timescales and milestones for all actions, working with director’s and nominated representatives to establish ownership and undertake initial hand-holding until individuals are able to confidently assume ownership of their actions.
- Assistance to Communications Directorate in developing plans for public consultation. These plans needed to meet the legal requirements of the race, equality and disability duties.
- Engagement with external organisations concerned with occupational gender segregation (alongside Delivery Partner and LETF stakeholders) to firm up specifics of “a visible contribution to combating occupational gender segregation in construction and allied areas”.
Our relationship with the ODA went from strength to strength with the award of additional contracts including:
- E&D Procurement Evaluations – We provided a team of suitably qualified assessors for the evaluation of the equalities and diversity element of tender pre-qualification questionnaires and full tenders.
- E&D Training – The ODA and CLM Delivery Partner Ltd (Delivery Partner) worked together to implement an Equality and Diversity Training Plan. One strand of that plan was to provide all ODA/Delivery Partner staff with specific Equality & Inclusion Awareness training. Our role was to provide ODA/Delivery Partner staff (approx. 400 people) with the opportunity to attend a one day interactive awareness workshop covering all strands of diversity. This was completed successfully and exceeded client expectations.