Petroleum Development Oman (PDO) is the major exploration and production company in the Sultanate of Oman, accounting for about 70% of the country’s crude-oil production and almost all of its natural gas supply. The company is majority owned by the Government of Oman (60%), the Shell Group (34%), Total (4%) and Partex (2%). Gas fields and processing plants operated by PDO are exclusively on behalf of the Government. PDO contributed over a third of Oman’s gross domestic product in 2013/2014 according to the Central Bank of Oman.
PDO commissioned GDP to design and deliver a comprehensive D&I Awareness raising program for D&I stakeholders, HR Business Partners and Managing Director’s Committee (MDC). The objectives of the program were to:
- Promote the creation of a positive and inclusive work environment.
- Support mutual respect and trust in which all employees have fair opportunities to contribute and develop.
- Identify desired behaviours which guide the roles and responsibilities of all parties in establishing and promoting a positive work environment.
- Familiarisation of PDO procedures and policies, data mining and analysis of data, establishment of baseline.
- Engagement with 8 Stakeholders and 12 Executives on a 1-2-1 basis.
- Meeting and coaching of Managing Director.
- Customized 2.5 day ‘Open Minds’ program to build the confidence, competence and capability of key personnel to drive D&I awareness and change throughout the organisation.
- Embedded consultancy on relevant aspects of Talent, Business and Commercial strategy.
- Development of comprehensive three-year D&I Action and Communications Plan.
- Delivery of bespoke executive workshop to MDC.
The program has been a resounding success amongst the HR Business Partners and D&I Council, and preparations are underway for the cascade of D&I values and actions throughout the wider organisation. GDP were subsequently commissioned to deliver additional consultancy for a D&I Working Group / Task Force who report directly to the People & Change Director on key strategic decisions, as well as a company-wide D&I Survey and D&I Celebration Day.